Christmas time is nearing, glow babes! To make this festive season that little bit healthier, we’ve devised a way for you to add a little glow to Christmas dessert this year, and impress your family and friends with your baking skills. Follow this step-by-step recipe, and you’ll be serving delicious traditional fruitcake with a protein surprise in no time.
- Plain flour: 228g or 1 and 3/4 cups(loosely packed)
- Mixed spice: 1 tsp
- Absolute Protein powder: 228g or 1 and 3/4 cups
- Cinnamon powder:1 tsp
- Baking powder:1 tsp
- Salt:1/2 tsp
- Eggs (medium): 3
- Vanilla Extract (optional):1 tsp
- Soft dark or light brown sugar: 100g or 1/2 cup
- Mollasses /brown sugar : 3 tbsp
- Butter: 226g or 2 sticks or 1 cup
- Dried mixed fruit: 600-700g
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Water: 180ml or 3/4 cup
Getting everything ready
- Lightly grease a cake tin with some butter or oil and line with greaseproof paper.
- Chop the nuts and dried fruits into a large clean bowl .You can use a prepared dried fruit mixture, or blend your own.
- Grate the rind of lemon and orange and keep it aside.
- Sift the flour ,baking powder, mix spices, zest of orange and lemon and salt into another bowl.
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C .
How to make moist fruit cake
We can make moist fruit cake in 3 simple steps.
Step 1. Boil the dry fruits
In a medium saucepan, combine the butter with the fruit and nut mix, brown sugar,molasses and water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let stand for 45 minutes or until it is cool.
Step 2. Add all the rest of ingredients
Add the eggs (lightly beaten) and vanilla extract (optional) and the nuts.
Add in the flour mix which is Absolute Protein+Flour+Baking powder+Salt+Ground spices+Zest of orange and lemon.
Mix everything together, just until everything is well incorporated.
Step 3. Bake the fruit cake
Transfer the batter into the prepared pan.. Bake in the center of the oven @ 160°C for about 75-90 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Large baking tray (8 inch) will take slightly less baking time.
Let the cake cool completely.
Unmold the cake and transfer to a serving platter. This fruit cake is best to serve the next day.The flavor and texture of cake improves a lot with that time.The cake may seem buttery and crumbly and less flavorful if we cut it immediately it is cooled.
And there you have it, glow babes. Christmas dessert made simple. Share a bit of the glow with your loved ones this year by sneaking a little bit of protein into their Christmas glut.